2. It is not possible to stop thoughts from coming, but it is possible to calm the mind by deep breathing as it allows you to focus on a particular thing- your breath. Controlling or directing the mind is pretty much refusing to be slave to your thoughts.
3. Be mindful: This refers to focusing on the breathing and paying attention to the sensations of your breath. You don’t necessarily have to focus on breathing in order to practice mindfulness. You can focus on sounds, heat, or cold instead.
4. Once you get used to this technique, you can use it to cultivate positive qualities. According to Ricard, all-consuming love lasts for as little as fifteen seconds. Luckily, meditation and focusing on it can help it last longer or revive it.
5. Humans need regular practice as plants need watering. Just like with any other activity, practicing meditation for twenty minutes has greater impact than a couple of seconds.
6. You can use meditation to get rid of negative emotions. As Ricard says, ‘You can look at your experience like a fire that burns. If you are aware of anger you are not angry you are aware. Being aware of anxiety is not being anxious it is being aware.’ Being aware of negative emotions helps you burn them down.
7. People who say that they cannot find the time to meditate should consider its benefits. If it helps you deal with everything during the rest of the day, it is worth spending twenty minutes of your time.